Upper Cumberland Quilt Trail
Posted on May 5, 2009
Cumberland Quilt Trail highlights the quilt
treasures of the region with a mission of “Preserving the
art and heritage of quilting and related arts and honoring
all those in the past and present who have been and are
involved in this art form”.
Follow the maps and see the beautiful and historic barns, owned by local farm families that have quilt patters painted on 8’ x 8’ wood squares. The blocks are replicas of treasured family quilts made by local women. In painting their favorite patterns on barns, we are honoring our local quilters, well known for their skills of using every piece of scrap fabric to create a beautiful work of art that is also a useful item in the home.
For your convenience, there will be signs to guide you from barn to barn, and at each site, you will find information about the quilt pattern, the quilter, the artist, and the barn/farm. Take some extra time to visit the local fabric shops, country stores, antiques shops, galleries, and historical places. Stop, and have dinner at the many quaint “eateries” and enjoy some local flavor.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Support Upper Cumberland Quilt Trail activities where ever you may see them.
- Talk it up!!! Tell your friends, family, and groups you participate in that you want to tour the Quilt Trail.
- Provide us with names and places of ideal locations for the placement of Quilt Squares.
- Enjoy your local quilts and heritage, art, and local culture that are behind them.
- Become a sponsor yourself or encourage businesses and places of interest to be a sponsor of the Upper Cumberland Quilt Trail. Sponsorship helps us all in the Upper Cumberland Region.
- Complete the information on the application if you would like to place a Quilt Square on your property.